A Bestiary for Penrod, Volume II.
By Bo Slycrake
1. Plague Ghost Locust Crier
All known ruins from the ancient empire are crawling with plague ghosts. Soldiers wandering the crumbling walls, schoolteachers lecturing to empty halls, servants carrying ghostly meals to thin air.
A plague ghost locust crier is the long-dead mad memory of a street vendor, and his ten thousand locust ghosts. The crier desperately wants customers, and the locusts—unable to eat for a thousand years—will try to consume all organic matter in their path.
The crier floats slowly along, droning their sales pitch in the ancient tongue. When I came across the vendor in the wide boulevard of the city that I had been told about by the orphan, I was accosted with a desperate plea to purchase. Within a few moments, a swarm of ghost locusts followed, ravenous. I was lucky to escape with my life; not so lucky was my pack mule. I hope he is resting peacefully.
Plague Ghost Locust Crier
- 2HD, ghostly finger d6, Armour 1.
- Ghosts are immune to normal weapons
- The locusts swarm and consume all organic material within 1 minute (cloth armour, food, horses, etc.)
- The locusts cannot be killed, only escaped from.
- 3HD, Lead bite or claw d8, Armour 1
- If you are bit with the lead teeth you will get lead poisoning, requiring a week of medical attention
- If you are dealt CD with the lead teeth you will succumb to lead madness, requiring restraint and a month of medical attention.
- 3HD, multiple weapons (d8 each).
- Seven strong arms, generally they carry three varied weapons, plus one other item (e.g. magic wand, shield, spray poison), and keep one or two arms free.
- View smaller creatures as lesser.
- 2HD, strong arms with pickaxe or steel rod, d8.
- Interested in eating real food, but mostly subsist on molybdenum.
- 2HD, trample d6.
- Will allow harlots and rakes to ride in the moonlight. Disdain for the sexually inexperienced.
- Its saliva acts as a aphrodisiac.
6. Glacial Gator
- 10HD, gator jaw d12 damage, on CD you are swallowed.
- Can swim through ice or snowy ground cover, or lie still and perfectly hidden amongst the ice.
- Its skin cannot be harmed by non-magical metal weapons.